This Healthy Taco Salad is the universal delight of taco night, transformed into a wholesome package you can feel great devouring for nutritious lunches and dinners. Just like a taco salad with fresh green lettuce, topped with a flavorful & healthy ground turkey and brown rice mixture, and loaded with all your favorite taco toppings.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, diced small
- 2 celery stalks, diced small (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 jar (16 oz) salsa
- 1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 cup water
Taco Salad Bowls
- 1 bag (10 oz) chopped romaine lettuce
- shredded cheese
- chopped tomatoes
- chopped black olives
- sour cream
- guacamole OR avocado chunks
- chopped cilantro
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, combine ground turkey, cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper, bell pepper, celery, and green onions. Cook and crumble until no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes. Drain.
- Stir in salsa, beans, uncooked instant rice, and water. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover with lid and reduce heat to low. Let simmer for 15 minutes until water is absorbed.
- Layer each bowl with chopped romaine lettuce (or green leaf lettuce), top with a scoop of ground turkey mixture, and then all your favorite toppings.